Thursday, April 1, 2010

Whiskey infused with bacon - hm - Irish whiskey, poker and bunnies?

Last weekend, I volunteered to host Bourbonators again. This month saw 11 guys show up for whiskey, laughter and poker. Just enough to cram pack my poker table in the basement.

I've got the greatest wife in the world. Have I ever mentioned that before? She's a nurse at the local, mega, world famous hospital that shall remain nameless cuz...yeah. Google. Our basement is pretty much always set up for poker. That table I built, you got it, it's too damn big to put away, so when we find ourselves staring down the barrel of the last Friday of the month and no whiskey club, I pop the question to OhCountess to see our availability. No problem this week, she worked in the morning so as long as I didn't mind the random alarm clocks called OhPrincess1 and OhPrincess2 waking me up early, it was a go.

This month we had two different whiskeys to sample. The primary spirit was The Irishman Single Malt Wiskey. According to the box, it has been "...matured for over a decade and personally selected by Bernard Walsh." I couldn't help but think what a fantastic name that was. But I digress. It also states the spirit was "...matured in Bourbon and Sherry casks. Bourbon to mellow and sherry to add a hint of sweetness."

The box also contained tasting notes:
Colour - Golden honey
Aroma - Great nose, floral background notes
Taste - Oily, with a strong malt character
Finish - Lingering for what seems an eternity

I think we all pretty much agreed that it was a pretty meh whiskey. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. It served it's purpose well, but in the end was a bit forgettable. It tasted good, but had a bit more burn in the swallow then we liked. It's worth a try, but don't pass on the 25 year old Glenlivet getting there. A boy can dream, right? The box the bottle came in had gold foil behind the bottle. Those kinds of marketing things kinda bug me. If you want to call the color of your booze "golden" it shouldn't need gold foil, right?



Our other drink is the one you see pictured above. Hopefully you got this far before heading to the store to pick up a bottle of Jeremiah Weed - With Bacon!

Darrin contributed it to this months tasty treats.

Never seen it before? Well, he made. He described the infusion process like this, fry up a few pieced of bacon. Make as much as you want because bacon rocks. We don't actually need the bacon, just the bacon juices. Nom nom! Take the grease and add it to the bottle and mix it up. Close the lid and set aside for awhile. He may have had more detail in these instructions, but I was drinking the Irishman and think about bacon. Anywho. After the proper amount of time has passed, refrigerate or maybe even put the bottle in the freezer until the grease congeals to the top. Come to think about it, it might not have been in the bottle but probably a mason jar. You would need to remove the now chunky white bacony goodness.

I was a bit surprised but damn, it really did taste like bacon. The whiskey/bacon flavor was really quite delicious but, again with total agreement, Jeremiah Weed was probably not the best choice for the base of this. It's way to sweet for this.

I found it difficult to get my finger down. It wasn't the taste but the over power sweet. Lesson learned.


Well, we played poker too. Like normal, we played 2 sit-n-gos. I couldn't possibly have been more card dead. The speed of our structure makes it really important to hit a hand or two early to get a decent stack moving to the bubble. The biggest ace I saw was ATo and the best pocket pair...ducks. Yikes. Having never really hit a hand...off to the cash game I went.

The first session cash game, was dealers choice. Since I was the host, I only played a few hands. I made a buck. I didn't call home. I didn't go on a shopping spree. The second session was a little smaller. We played 3 handed pot limit/cap limit omaha. Fun times :) While I still wasn't a card rack, I did run a bit better over here. One of the players was fairly inexperienced and the other was DeeBakes. Dee's got skills, the other guy was fairly new. I exploited the new guys fear and pushed him hard when I thought he was drawing and played small ball when I wasn't strong but drawing well. Dee, I tried very hard to show weak play when I was strong and strong play when I was weak. I suppose he's gonna read this and no better next time. Probably our biggest pot came when I out flopped him, he sucked out on the turn and I redrew to a bigger full house on the river. Pocket aces in omaha can win :)


Before I go -

It's rebuy time again! The lovely Katitude brings in Easter with the $1 + $1 donkament on Full Tilt. You can see the details in badge above! Go check it out. It's a great time. I may not be playing. The kids are at Grandma's...date night! As Kat did on her post, I gotta share the greatest bunny scene in cinema history :)


Maybe I'll see you Friday night, you'd better play!

1 comments:

lightning36 said...

Mebbe next time about six pieces of bacon should be put in ... and left in. lol