Monday, January 3, 2011

Struggling with frustraion

For being a subscriber to Card Player magazine, I get these regular emails, the Card Player Newsletter. Now usually, I read the Pro Tips and move on. I get the hard copy of the magazine so I'll usually be reading it later. This one caught my eye. A tip from Thomas Marchese:

It really has to do with patience and not getting frustrated. With live tournaments you are really playing in just a few, even during the course of a year. It is just about playing you're A-game as much as you can until you run good. Everyone is going to run good at some point, so all you can do is play your best consistently and you will have better results eventually. Thomas Marchese
Ain't this the truth. I find staying in my A game to be about the hardest thing to do. It becomes increasingly hard when you are trying to focus with kids, a dog, a puppy, a job, a life, just trying to get a slice of your attention. Getting the good run of cards is something that just seems so far away.

I really think my biggest struggle with this game is just this. Staying in my A game.

How do you stay in your A game? Are you able to get away before your C game kicks in? It might just be time to read Elements of Poker, by Tommy Angelo.

3 comments:

Shrike said...

That book is a gem. Well worth a read.

-PL

Unknown said...

I drink.

I do not suggest other's do this however.

My last five live tourneys:

WPBT - 4th/97
Turbo at MGM - 3rd/100ish
WPBT - 2nd to last!!
Binions - 3rd/214 (Omaha)
Fortune Bay - 1st/20 (Omaha)

Find whatever knocks off the edge and keeps you semi-focused.

SirFWALGMan said...

He is a fucking idiot. I am living proof that you do not have to eventually run good. Fucker.