Tuesday, September 9, 2008

No Yawning @ the Poker Table

Lately, my poker game sucks. I was no brilliant player to begin with, but for the most part I was profitable. My live game felt and played well too, but lately...


Tonight, at poker league, I actually dozed off at the table. This just can't be good. When I busted out, I shoved 14 BBs into a set with top pair and a 7 kicker. What was I thinking? I have no idea. But I can tell you this. I'm ready for bed.

Online poker has been the same. Last night I fell asleep playing a SNG.

Personally, I think I have a really big leak here. I play almost everyday and tend to be really tilty when I'm tired. I need to learn to steer clear of the felt when I'm tired. 

The hardest thing about trying to play poker when tired is tilt control. I have almost zero when I'm tired. Many of my live sessions lately have been played exhausted. Work - life balance has been totally skewed lately and sleep is taking the backseat. 

Poker moderation is probably the best cure until I catch back up. How do you play when you are tired? How tired can you be and still play well?

6 comments:

RaisingCayne said...

Yes, losing consciousness while at the poker table is a leak! Fortunately, the first step in plugging leaks is finding them... so you at least got that goin' for ya.

To answer your question posed... I believe no one's game is at 100% when fatigued. And with poker, similar to athletic sports, participants can compete without being at the top of their game, but should attempt to be at 100% when taking part.

Personally, when I'm aware of significant fatigue, but still have desire to play, I just play at smaller stakes than usual. My rationale... Kobe Bryant wouldn't dominate the NBA playing at 80%, and would actually likely be a deficit to the team, but, he would still likely kick ass versus lesser competition.

BamBam said...

STOP writing about me!

;)

I hear you loud and clear sir! I do the majority of "the work" for the bankroll, during relaxing comfortable weekend mornings and afternoons. So no real issues there.

But the blogaments at 9:00, 9:30 and 10:00pm each night! I play way too many of them poorly, for someone that is up at 4:30am each day.

Moderation definately seems to be the key. I think it's just how much? I mean to stay sharp, you must be playing. Play to much, you're too tired to stay sharp anyhow.

Good Luck!

lightning36 said...

My play is always worse when I am tired or distracted (kids arguing in the background = at least one major error). I've lost way too much money at cash tables when I am tired and make some really stupid calls. I now try to just quit playing when I am too tired.

PokerFool said...

Convince your boss that you can work from home at least two days a week. That will give you at least an extra 2 (3, 4?) hours of sleep each day.

C'mon, yer a computer nerd! You can work from home (I did it some when I worked for IBM, and it was awesome).

Memphis MOJO said...

"My live game felt and played well too, but"

Pun (felt) intended?

muhctim said...

Play less, enjoy more. It's a mantra kind of thing that I am trying to incorporate into my own life. Personally I'm having a hard time applying it, but like most americans, that doesn't seem to stop me from passing on the advice at the risk of being a big fat hypocrit. What the hell, you can put lipstick on me, but I am still. . .oh well, I'll remember the rest after I have had a nap.