Friday, May 4, 2007

Bread and butter - the $5 9 person sit-n-go

I haven't played online for money in a few days. Monday night was the regional tournament, Tuesday the regular league night, Wednesday....the lawn needed mowing and I couldn't have been more tired. A big lesson for all you newbies out there...never play poker when you are tired. I learned the hard way that that is one of the best ways to gurantee your bankroll will shrink.

Last night, after a good night sleep and my wife tuning in her soap opera on the DVR...I sat down in my usual $5 9 person sit-n-go. This is where I go when I want to play a little poker and more often than not, make a little money. Full Tilt Poker pays the top 3 players on a $5 + .50 buy-in. 3rd pays $3.50, $10 to second and $17 to first place. I've played well lately, but have been in a little funk in that I keep placing 3rd.

For the most part, that's an illusion. The last 2 weeks have been profitable for me. According to Poker Tracker, here are my results for the last 2 weeks - I've played in 15 tournaments, my average finish is 4th. Finished 1st x 2, 2nd x 3 and 3rd x 4. Meaning I finished in the money 60% of the time and have a ROI% of 47.27. Definitely improving. I attribute this latest run at only playing when I'm ready and free of distractions. I've been calm and patient.

Last night was not different, and I remember to mix in a little bad play at the beginning when it was cheap to help get action later. It was all working well. I also limited myself to just one tourney...I was a bit tired and by the end...it was time for bed. I finished 3rd. Still in the money...but you ain't gonna get rich at $3.50 profit for a hour of play. My bankroll is still intact, and making a nice steady climb. This weekend...we might just move up the food chain and try the $10 and $20 games again...I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comments:

bodie25 said...

Just remember, the $10/$20 level was my downfall. Good luck! And good luck at State, I'll start looking for a good deal on flights to Vegas.