Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Welcome to OhCaptain Poker

Welcome to my poker blog. I'm going to try and post here when I get done with a session or a tournament. But first, a little about myself.

I started playing poker about 3 years ago, at the start of the boom. Living here in Minnesota, we aren't exactly the poker Mecca of the universe. Most of the card rooms only have fairly low stakes limit hold'em. And all of them are at least 1 hour from my house.

Lacking any place real to play, I started out at Party Poker for play money. An interesting way to learn the ins and outs of online poker. I got the hang of the UI and started winning pretty regularly.

About this time, I hooked up with a whiskey club that gathered once a month and played poker after trying a new whiskey, scotch or bourbon. Now I have learned a lot about both whiskey and poker. A great group of guys, we play 2 sit-n-go's a month. Low stakes but very competitive. I've learned a lot playing with these guys and I think all of us have ramped up our games over the years.

About 1 year ago, I found the Minnesota Poker League at Brother's Bar & Grill. Boy was I nervous at first. This was my first experience playing a large tournament. It was free, so the level of competition is all over the map, but I've really liked the experience.

This week I attended my 2nd regional tournament for this league. I made it to the fall leagues regional tournament and really didn't play all that well. This next trip to regionals I felt a lot more confident. I knew my game and I knew that everyone at this tournament was not Doyle Brunson. I can probably go more into this game later, but to make a long story short...I finished 3rd and qualified for State!

I'll be back later, maybe try to talk about regionals or even a bit about this latest league. Good luck all and my all your flops be monsters!

0 comments: