Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Free bar poker that's not hold'em...really???

Sunday morning, Bodie25 called our house. He's sounded like a kid on Christmas Day, hoping to get an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and 'this thing' which tells time. He was interested in going to a neighboring town to play a little free poker at a bar. The bar pays cash to the winner (we like cash), and to really get you going...they are playing Pot Limit Omaha (PLO). Yes, you read it right, PLO.

The event was being run by the Big Doc Poker. I'd recently played hold'em at the Whiskey Bones Roadhouse and finished fifth. He runs an interesting tournament, but there are some rules that I don't agree with...but that's not why we are here.

As previously noted in this blog of higher thought, I suck at PLO. To be perfectly honest, I felt like a virgin to the felt again. All the cards and the chips and the people, it was quite exhilarating!

I've never felt more comfortable in my NLHE game. Both my online and live bankrolls have positive trends and when I sit at the table, the universe just seems to be in order...and then they deal me 4 cards and tell me 2 from the hand 3 from the community. Draw to the nuts. 2 pair rarely wins. Lots of suited connectors are good. Oh bother! (Been reading a lot of Winnie the Pooh books to my 4 year-old lately)

Needless to say...I stunk. I didn't win a single pot. I made it past first break by not doing anything. But hey! My iPhone tells me this place has Wi-Fi and guess who brought their laptop with them (does this finally prove once and for all who the geek is?)

Bodie25 drove together, and I'm not one to just ditch a guy when he's winning...unless he just took all my money and I think he's cheating...those rules didn't apply here. He's actually got a monster chip lead! So after a phenomenal cheeseburger and some quiet time reading a book and listening to 'Beyond the table', off to the minivan I went, and retrieved the laptop.

I sat down to the table that had been a side game that vanished, played a cheap SNG and waited for Bodie25 to take this thing down. Geez...PLO takes a long time.

Big Doc and his girlfriend sat down and we started a game of SHO. Seems Big Doc's girlfriend HATES lowball games. Oye vey!

Well...playing short handed mixed games seemed to work for me. I played them all with a good understand and had a lot of fun. Even in Omaha! All the while, I was checking out Bodie25's table, he's mountain of chips just kept getting bigger until finally, well, I let Bodie25 tell you what happened.

Tonight, the return of Free Poker at Brother's Bar & Grill. I find myself in 5th place in the league. I should be a lock for regionals, but maybe there is still hope to be the league champ with a free pass to state...we'll have to wait and see.

2 comments:

BigStack said...

Good luck and take down those finals! iPhone and Laptop on-hand? <borat>Very Nice!</borat> I think it's safe to assume you can read BML. That's Borat Markup Language to you normal folks.

- Karridy
BeyondTheTable

Anonymous said...

Good luck and take down those finals! iPhone and Laptop on-hand? Very Nice. I think it's safe to assume you can read BML. That's Borat Markup Language to you normal folks.
===========================
johnson789
FREEROLLS EVERYDAY 11AM TO 11PM WITH NO REQUIREMENTS. JUST DOWNLOAD AND PLAY POKER FREE 7 DAYS A WEEK.

http://www.CelebPoker.com